By April 1915, an article in the Examiner informed its readers that the camp was beginning to look more like a self-sufficient city. After passing the guard tents, the visitor next reached the tents of the Y.M.C.A. then the ‘dry’ canteen and the camp post office a little further on. On the other side of the road were long rows of conical shaped tents, the interiors of which all looked ‘spick and span’ many with furniture fashioned from packing cases. On the outskirts was located the Army Medical Corps complete with hospital tent where minor ailments were attended to.
The men were divided up into small groups undertaking various activities – skirmishing, rifle exercises, putting on equipment or signalling. Route marches around the area helped to instil discipline and the make the men fit.
Before the winter of 1915 set in it was intended that corrugated iron buildings would be erected on a temporary basis to replace the tents.
As the war progressed the camp was capable of housing 2,200 men at any one time.