Joe Barnett was born at Hobart on 14 December 1892 the eldest son of Edward William Barnett and his wife Margaret, formerly Leach.
Barnett was a keen amateur photographer before turning professional in 1914 when he obtained a permit to photograph life at the Claremont Army Camp. Another also working there was John Watt Beattie. Continue reading “Joseph James Nathaniel Barnett (1882 – 1972)”
In 1914, most peopled relied on visiting a studio, usually for or following a special occasion such as a wedding or anniversary in order to have their photograph taken. These images printed on card and would either be enlarged and framed to hang on the wall or be placed in a special album. Continue reading “Photography & War”
||The Pontville Training Camp was a windswept open area which lacked any facilities, including a regular water supply.
Also, the nearest railway station was at Brighton. Troops were regularly entrained from Brighton to Hobart for rifle practice at the range at Sandy Bay.
Continue reading “From Pontville to Claremont”
“The camp is situated on the top of a gentle slope, is surrounded on three sides by the Derwent, and has a natural fall to the river. The only road approach is a narrow neck from the railway station, where the guard is stationed. There is not much trouble to get into the camp, but when going out you have to ‘run the gauntlet’ of the guard.
Continue reading “Life at Claremont Army Camp in 1916 by Private Jack Arnold”
Initially the 40th Battalion was to be a combined unit from Tasmania and the Geelong district. Representations were made asking for it to be a Tasmanian unit. It would be our contribution to the 3rd Division, which was formed in Australia in early 1916. Continue reading “Tassie’s Own 40th Battalion”
In the months between the formation of the Battalion and the departure of the original members and 1st reinforcements on the Berrima from Hobart on 1 July 1916, the men “prepared and trained in the art of war as well as could be learned in a training camp”. Continue reading “Army Life”
The 40th Battalion (pictured above with Lt. Colonel John Lord in front) was the last unit of the 3rd Division to reach England, and in consequence was not so far advanced in training as the other battalions, some of whom had already been in England for several weeks. Continue reading “Bound For The Front”
Total battle casualties 2, 165 including prisoners of war and those who died of disease. Continue reading “The Fighting Fortieth”
An exhibition of a unique collection of photographs taken at Claremont Army Camp during 1916-1918 by J. J. Barnett to be held at the Waterside Pavilion, Mawson Place from 11 – 15 August, 2018.
The official opening of the photographic exhibition ‘100 Days – 100 Tasmanian Stories’ will be held on Saturday 11 August 2018 at 11am at the Waterside Pavilion, Mawson Place. Mr Andrew Wilkie MP has accepted our invitation to open the exhibition. Invited guests will have the opportunity to preview the exhibition with refreshments to follow.
The exhibition will be open to the public from 10am til 3pm daily (except Saturday 11 August when it will open to the public at 12.30). Entry by gold coin donation. Proceeds to The Headstone Project (Tas) Inc.
Continue reading “100 Days – 100 Tasmanian Stories”